We tend to take things for granted a lot in this industry. Hosts can sometimes forget to provide vital information to their service providers and vice-versa, but the most common are combinations, locations, and supplies.
So, you have a new service provider, someone who’s come to take care of your changeover and they’re not familiar with your property, you will have to keep in mind to give them correct instructions.
- Always advise your service provider (especially if they’re new) of all your combinations to key locks, locks on linen and storage cages, and any key free entry to your front door.
- Give them specific location of all linen, towels, tea towels and provision supplies.
- Provide a rough layout of the property for easy orientation (you can download Properly for easy servicing checklists that sync with your Airbnb listing that transports all of your photos).
- The correct address with apartment number is always helpful, so you don’t run the risk of your service provider getting lost.
- If at all possible, keep microwaves at lower than height level, so it’s easier for the service provider to clean and so guests have easy access to avoid spills. If there is no step ladder available, service providers run the risk of falls if stepping on a chair (Occupational Health and Safety issue here).
- Provide your contact phone number and if you’re overseas your Skype ID, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp or other VOIP option so that service providers can contact you in case of emergency.
- Advise of correct invoicing details.
- Advise your service provider of any low provisions before they arrive to find out there’s no toilet paper or garbage bags, otherwise if the shops aren’t close by, the guest suffers with no provisions and that affects your rating! It may be a good idea to check with the guest before they leave if you have a same day change over.
- Have at least 2-3 sets of linen available for your service provider.
- Have a reliable washer and dryer on site for onsite laundering by your service provider or guest if this is how you arrange your laundering. Having a combination washer/dryer can take up to 5 hours to dry a two bed load of washing which could take up to three loads to complete.
Be aware that part of a successful Airbnb and short stay is communicating with your service providers. It’s wise to have a back up in case your regular service provider is away, sick or fully booked. If you don’t you run the risk of doing it yourself or it not being done if you don’t live close by.